Monday, October 18, 2010

Long Beach Antique Flea Maket Review ( sorry this may be boring )

I hope you all had a great weekend! Here's a Little re-cap of ours...

I was supposed to start my first DIY project this weekend, but with the damp weather it was a bit hard to do work outside. Hopefully when it clears up and I can start and share it with you all ( stay tuned )!  But I did get a chance to visit the Long Beach Antique Market...

Disclaimer:  I really do not like writing anything negative. I try my best to put a positive spin on things and to try to make the best of not so wonderful situations. I promise to do my best here...

Since deciding to start my own inspirational print shop ( see the post on my personal blog here) and I've been brainstorming with my sister & husband about different ideas. So, I wanted to find some old frames that I could refinish and paint my self. ( oh no, me and DIY project? ) We headed over to the Goodwill near our home to find some good frames. We were very successful and I found 3 great frames for about 11 bucks! ( score!)  So, my husband suggested we head to the Long Beach Antique flea market they have every 3rd Sunday to find some great old frames...

We woke up before dawn excited about all the great things I was going to buy. ( It was my first time) Well, I must say I was pretty disappointed at what was there ( well not totally ) . When I think of a flea market, I think of amazing finds at dirt cheap prices. What did we find? Great finds at sky high prices! ( no score )  For example; I found a great frame that had a painting of a flower. While I'm sure back in the 70's it would have looked great in someones home but for now, I just wanted the frame. The price? $25.00 . I'm sorry what? Yes, that's right 25, down from 50! Aisle after Aisle this is what was encountered. Great pieces for the same price I could get at my local frame store. So mentally, I gave up on frames. I was not very impressed with this giant flea market. It really seemed like people just took what was in their garage and were trying to sell it for way more than it was worth. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I would not recommend it for simple frames.

Now for the good stuff...
If I was looking for old furniture and great vintage lighting, I think I would have hit the jack pot!! If you are looking for things, such as a vintage chandelier or a cool chair then this is the place to go! Now, the pricing was still too high I think, but well worth it if you are a good negotiator. There are so many aisles of antique looking items that are just screaming for a chic update that I started daydreaming as I walking ( sorry to the kid I ran into ). So all in all it wasn't a total disaster. Oh and they do sell food which is always a plus! haha!

Check out the website here, and if you have time, come out and visit. It is worth it if you don't mind spending the day there and you want antique furniture.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please be kind and God Bless =)